A guide to services

A guide to services

We have a wide range of healthcare and children and family services.

See which service or professional is best to help you.


Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over the counter medicine from your Pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self-care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries. If you are still worried call NHS 111 or your Doctor's practice.



If you think you need help urgently during the day or night you should call NHS 111 before you go to any other health service. By calling NHS 111 you will be directed straight away to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to call, including from a mobile.

You should call NHS 111:

  • When you need help fast but it’s not life threatening.

  • When you think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.

  • When it’s outside of your Doctor’s surgery hours.

  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.

  • If you do not have a local Doctor to call.

Minor Ailments Scheme

The Minor Ailments Scheme is available to all - it allows Pharmacists to manage simple common medical problems and issue medicines as if they had been prescribed by the Doctor. You do not always need to see your Doctor. Pick up a Minor Ailments Scheme form from your surgery reception. You will be issued with a Minor Ailments Passport. Take it to your local pharmacy who will be able to help you with things like:

  • Colds and flu

  • Constipation

  • Earache

  • Headlice

  • Insect bites and stings

  • Minor burns or lacerations

  • Teething.


Your local Pharmacist will know about most everyday health issues. They can suggest the best medicine to help. There are often Pharmacists in supermarkets and many are open late. If your child has a temperature which has not come down with paracetamol or ibuprofen see your Doctor.

Doctor or GP

You will need to register with a local Doctor. Your Doctor can advise, give you the medicines you need and point you in the right direction if you need other specialist services. You will usually need to make an appointment. All Doctors will see a child quickly if you are worried.

After 6.30pm weekdays, at weekends and public holidays you can call the GP out-of-hours service on NHS 111.

Health Visitor

The health visiting service provides preventative and early intervention support for all families with children aged under 5 years of age. The service offers evidence based advice on:

  • Your child’s health and well-being.

  • Early identification of problems and early interventions.

  • Signposting/referral to specialist services such as speech and language,
    Child Development Team and children’s social care.

Children's Centres

For families from pregnancy to age 5. All services are free.
Services offered include:

  1. Stay and play drop-ins

  2. Help for families

    • Healthy start vitamins.

    • Midwifery and health visiting.

    • Baby feeding support and advice.

    • Family support (home visiting and 1-1 advice).

    • Parenting support (1-1 and groups) and child psychotherapy.

    • Mental health services for parents.

    • Children’s speech and language therapy.

    • Help to find jobs and training.

    • Benefits advice.

    • Housing advice.

    • Family learning courses.

  3. Childcare

    • Free places for 2, 3 and 4 year olds.

    • Childminders.


For serious and life-threatening emergencies, please call 999.

A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness such as choking, chest pain, blacking out, or blood loss.

Urgent Care Centres

Urgent Care Centres treat patients who have an injury or illness that needs help quickly, but is not a 999 emergency. To book an appointment with a local Urgent Care Centre call NHS 111.